OK, so now it is Snow Wow. We left around 1 pm on Saturday and there was 5″ new. The Weather Service is calling for 14″ total. Almost like the “old days.”
Rain for October: 19.44″. We’ve owned the cabin since 1979, and I cannot remember a similar October. Now let’s see if we go back to when we used to have 3 – 4 feet of snow on the ground by Thanksgiving, and 8 – 10 feet by Christmas. Been a long time since we have seen THAT…..
I’m trying to remember an October as wet as this one. There is likely another, but it would be long ago.
So far this month, we have 10.76″. That’s wet!. And, I think we are good for at least 2 more inches by November 1.
Shifting gears, we have seen a lot of tree and debris clearing work. The PG&E tree crew has dropped all the dead trees located in their helicopter survey. They are due to come back in to take the trees marked by their forester on the ground. Cabin owners have been taking bunches of trees the were marked by the Forest Service. And, we are waiting for the big task, dropping the Big Tree across the road from our camera. 144 feet tall. 6 – 7 feet at the base, dying, and with 7, count ’em, window makers at the top. That will be something…..
About time, and welcome, too. At 7:30 pm on the 14th, 3.11″. And looking for at least that much more by next Tuesday.
PG&E has provided me with links to some very important data related to the relicensing project.
To see a graphic on projected lake level this year: www.project2105.org/PGE/bucks2016.pdf
To access the relicensing documents that have been compiled: www.bucksrelicensing.com/public
and: www.project 2105.org
Please share these links with anyone who might have an interest…..
I’m thinking I ought to add a new post, since it has been a while. OK, the lake is full, still. Weather has been pretty good, although cold this week. No fires!! So far….
Annual HOA meeting is tomorrow, 7-9, at Haskins. Many cabin owners on the west side of the lake are anticipating a PG&E answer to, “How are we going to move our docks fall and spring, since you have posted that motor vehicles may not proceed below the high water line? Looking for answers tomorrow….
I am told the Fire Department Pancake Breakfast was its usual success, with 800 breakfasts served. A massive number. We missed it, as we were in church at 8 am.
We served on the fire department for 20 years. It is an honor to protect your neighbors and their properties. If you can do it, the training is excellent, the calls are not overbearingly frequent, and you can only imagine the reward you get when you know you have saved a life, or a cherished cabin….. Please consider it.
Waiting for the next event worthy of a comment….
As of today, all the paved roads in the Bucks Lake area are open, including the Back Road. Watch for the occasional icy spot.
The non-paved cabin access roads? Some are open, some not. Some drifts are still pretty substantial in shady areas…….
The current plan for the County is to begin plowing on April 11. They will first go to the fire station, then open Big Creek, after that the Dam Road, and finally the Oro-Quincy Highway. From what I have seen of the snow, much of that will go pretty fast, but there will be areas in the shade that still have 5 feet. My best guess is that most roads will be open by the end of the month.
It has not been easy. The circuit the camera is on, tripped during the last big storm. Probably water, as we have water inside the cabin where we have never had it before.
That caused the camera to lose its programming. That required a complete reprogramming of the camera, a process that never goes well. I have been seeing it locally for two days, and just now figured out the trick to get it to upload to the website.
I apologize (to much more of the world than I ever dreamed likely), and I hope you all enjoy it.
So, no secret, the camera quit just when the latest storm was at the strongest. It has done this a couple of times before. If I am at the cabin, I can fix it right away. But we are not at the cabin, having needed to return to Reno for some medical appointments. Of course, I want to get back and fix it, ASAP, and will try to do that next Tuesday or Wednesday.
But with the Weather Service predicting a total of 46″ of snow between Saturday and Monday (!), that will be iffy. I will believe all that snow when I see it, but at Bucks it is totally possible.
Till I can do the fix, I will be checking with other sources and try to keep a reasonably accurate record.